2009-10-05

Couchsurfing is not just a free accommodation!


The CouchSurfing Project is the largest hospitality exchange network, with approximately 1.4 million members in 231 countries and territories.
After registering, which is free, members have the option of providing very detailed information and pictures of themselves and of the sleeping accomodation being offered, if any. Instead of or in addition to accommodation, members also offer to provide guide services or travel-related advice.

My first experience in couchsurfing world, was about free accommodation. But the people whom I met, showed me that it is something more! It makes your journey excited and didactic. Gives you the chance to meet with the local people, to see how they are living and thinking. Or you can just have a coffee break on your way and ask about the city and people, get tips on places that are worth to see and cheep shops, restaurants, transports. Meeting with those nice people is changing the view of your life (at least it changed mine).

The Couchsurfing map of mine

Red dots: Places, I have been as a couchsurfer
Blue dots: From the places I have hosted couchsurfers

I have met really different people, and made some nice friends but one of them was very special for me. Jeppe, from Copenhagen (on the picture with his bike). This guy taught me how to be more open minded.

 



It was around 23:00 when I met him. He told me, he needs some food for the night and we went to look at some dumpsters (containers) to find something. After 15 min. we had wine, cheese, yoghurt and bread from 2 different containers. It was interesting acquittance in the middle of the night and on the way to his place, cause I have never had dumpster diver friend before. We had nice conversations and shared our point of views about life. After 3 days, when I was on my way home, I thought if we were living at the same country, he would be one of my good friends. 

Many people ask me how can I trust anyone? I don't have satisfying answer. I just want to believe that this world is nice place to live. And being far from the material values really helps achieving that.
If you are curious about the people that form this network and want to see some of us in real life, just join one of the CS meetings or events. Nice atmosphere and positive energy guaranteed.

There are some other hospitality exchange networks but as long as I know couchsurfing is the most active one. If you want to try the other ones, here are the links hospitalityclub ; bewelcome hostmedude

Nice statistics about Couchsurfing;
http://www.couchsurfing.org/statistics.html

References:  http://www.couchsurfing.org/about.html

4 comments:

  1. We're going to surf a CS couple in Hong Kong this weekend. As we don't have much chance to travel recently, CS is awesome to meet great world travelers from all around the world in our apartment. Oh, Taner, come to surf our place in Tokyo someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is our dream with Doga to surf your place, And I think so we ll do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We welcome you guys to surf our place WHENEVER you come to Tokyo :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the same question some time , that one about trust, but I dont know, in some way I see when people are nice and I just trust to them :)//Ilja

    ReplyDelete